Chris Schmitter uses experience gained from federal trial and appellate court clerkships to represent clients in both the public and private sectors.
Chris joined Greene Espel after clerking for the Honorable Sidney R. Thomas of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and for the Honorable John Tunheim of the U.S District Court for the District of Minnesota.
Chris received his J.D., summa cum laude, from the University of Minnesota Law School. While in law school, Chris clerked for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota and served as a legal intern for the U.S. Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division (Criminal Section). He worked as a research assistant to Professor Kristin Hickman. Chris also served as the student director of the Misdemeanor Prosecution Clinic.
Before attending law school, Chris served as Deputy Chief of Staff and Legislative Director for U.S. Representative Tim Walz. Chris received his B.S., magna cum laude, from Georgetown University, where he studied international relations with a focus on international law.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- State of Minnesota
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Federal Bar Association
- Law School Outreach Committee (2014-present)
- Minnesota Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Young Professionals Committee (2014-present)
- Going Back in Time: The Search for Retroactive Rulemaking Power in Statutory Deadlines, 97 MINN. L. REV. 1114 (2013)
TEACHING AND LECTURING
- Attorney Client Privilege For Business Attorneys, HCBA Corporate Council Section (March 2018)
- Attorney Client and Work Product Privilege For In-House Counsel: Distinguishing Between The Business Advisor and Legal Counselor Roles, MNCLE, Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute (May 2017)
- Class of 2013 Most Outstanding Contribution Award, University of Minnesota Law School
- Judge Edward J. Devitt Award for excellence in the study of federal law and practice, University of Minnesota Law School
- ALI-CLE Scholarship and Leadership Award, University of Minnesota Law School
- Book Award for highest grade in Property, Federal Securities Regulation, and Advanced Corporate Law, University of Minnesota Law School
- Recipient of the Leonard, Street & Deinard Law Review Award for excellence in legal writing
J.D., University of Minnesota Law School, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif (2013); Editor-in-Chief, Minnesota Law Review
B.S., Georgetown University, International Politics, magna cum laude (2006)
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, The Honorable John R. Tunheim, Law Clerk (2014-2015)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, The Honorable Sidney R. Thomas, Law Clerk (2013-2014)