Erin Sindberg Porter is an experienced litigator, risk manager, and trusted advisor to companies and individuals facing complex legal problems. In every case, Erin takes the time to understand the issues that keep her clients up at night, and she develops strategies to match each client’s unique situation.
In her civil litigation practice, she has extensive experience in each phase of litigation, from pre-litigation negotiations through appeal. She has represented clients facing mortgage repurchase claims, defending the originators and sellers of mortgage loans against banks and other investors demanding repurchase and indemnification. And she represents companies in complex business tort cases guiding clients through multiple actions in different states and jurisdictions.
She has also represented victims of crimes, guiding them through the criminal process in addition to representing them in civil litigation. Erin is skilled at both collaborating with and opposing state and federal prosecutors, investigators, and other government representatives on behalf of clients under investigation for, or accused of, civil or criminal violations.
As a risk manager, Erin works alongside clients to proactively evaluate rules and regulations impacting their businesses and strategically respond. She has helped clients who have acquired foreign companies navigate the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act as well as assisted large medical device companies with government investigations under the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
Beyond her legal practice, Erin uses her legal skills to fight for children who need representation. She frequently represents foster children through the Children’s Law Center who recognized her as Volunteer of the Month. And she helped review the City of Minneapolis Youth Violence Prevention Program. She is also a founding member of the Minnesota Mother Attorneys Association, and serves on the Board of Directors of Our Fair Carousel, Inc. This year, she is also serving as the President of Macalester College’s Alumni Board.
- Represented numerous companies in state regulatory proceedings
- Represented victim in federal prosecution involving multi-million dollar embezzlement scheme, obtaining complete summary judgment in a related civil suit
- Represent business owners and executives in criminal, civil and regulatory proceedings, including:
- Represented corporate executives charged with insurance and with bank fraud
- Represented business owner charged with environmental violations
- Represented financial services executive in securities fraud suit
- Represented large international corporation in multiple lawsuits involving significant commercial torts
- Obtained complete summary judgment in civil litigation in favor of sole proprietor facing eleven causes of action
- Represent numerous mortgage originators against repurchase and indemnification claims in consolidated action
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- State Bar of Minnesota
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Federal Bar Association
- FBA Seminar Planning Committee (2013-2015)
- Macalester College, Alumni Board, President (2016-present)
- Minnesota Mother Attorneys Association, Founding Member and Board Member, Co-Chair of Membership Committee
- Co-Chair, One Hour of Sharing Associates’ Campaign, Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (2013-2014)
- Jeremiah Program, Propel Steering Committee (2010-2013)
- Children’s Law Center
- Erin volunteers as a pro bono attorney for the Children’s Law Center, a non-profit organization that provides legal representation to foster children
- Recognized as Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer (2017)
- Selected to Rising Stars list, Minnesota Super Lawyers (2011-2017)
- Recognized as Minnesota State Bar Association North Star Lawyer for pro bono service (2012-2015)
- Named Children's Law Center October 2013 Volunteer of the Month
- Business Litigation
- Compliance and Anti-Corruption
- Pro Bono
- White Collar Criminal Defense
J.D., William Mitchell College of Law, cum laude (2007)
B.A., Macalester College (2000)
Minnesota Court of Appeals, The Honorable Kevin G. Ross, Judicial Clerk (2007-2008)