With a background in literature and product development, Holley Horrell blends creativity and pragmatism to reach the best resolution for the matter at hand.
She knows that different issues require different strategies. And when formal litigation is the right approach, she also brings to bear her strong writing skills and a deep understanding of the courts.
Holley’s experience spans from pre-litigation counseling on trademark and copyright matters to representation of individuals facing government investigations or shareholder suits to preparing corporate clients for trial.
- Defended a company in a multi-million dollar class action in the energy sector that settled on the eve of trial
- Represented an individual defendant in an insider-trading investigation that resolved by settlement neither admitting nor denying wrongdoing
- Defended the former Chairman/CEO of a multi-billion dollar company in an investigation that closed without the filing of a complaint
- Counseled a Fortune 100 studio with regard to potential copyright and trademark claims.
- In a pro bono representation, successfully petitioned the Army Discharge Review Board to upgrade the discharge status of a veteran to Honorable
- Represented officers of a company in a shareholder suit that settled within insurance limits
- Successfully applied to the VA for two pro bono clients to receive disability compensation for service-connected disabilities
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District Court of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- State of California
- (Application to the Minnesota Bar is pending)
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- The Honorable Jimmie V. Reyna Intellectual Property American Inn of Court
- Girls on the Run (Twin Cities), Special Events Committee Member (2016-present)
- Fourth Generation (a program of the Minneapolis Foundation), Volunteer Grantmaker (present)
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association, Chair of Copyright and Trademark committee (2014-2015); Co-Chair of Washington in the West committee (2013-2014)
- Featured in a “Pro Bono Spotlight” by the Inner City Law Center of Los Angeles, CA, for her pro bono representation of veterans (Sept. 2015)
- Hilmer Oehlmann, Jr. Award for Outstanding Performance in Federal Litigation (Spring 2010)
- French (fluent)
- Mandarin (familiar)
J.D., Stanford Law School (2012); Editor-in-Chief and Symposium Chair, Stanford Technology Law Review
B.A., Duke University, English with minors in Art History and Mandarin, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa (2007); Writer and Senior Editor, The Chronicle
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Judge Joan N. Ericksen, Law Clerk (2015-2017)
Irell & Manella, Associate (2012-2015)