Assistant: Callie Bird
- J.D., University of Minnesota Law School, magna cum laude (2008); Managing Editor, Minnesota Journal of International Law
- B.A., University of Minnesota, magna cum laude (2004)
- Minnesota Special Redistricting Panel, Staff Attorney (2011-2012)
- Minnesota Court of Appeals, Law Clerk (2008-2011)
- University of Minnesota Office of the General Counsel, Legal Project Assistant (2007-2008)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, The Honorable David S. Doty, Judicial Extern (2007)
Kate Swenson guides public-sector clients, including government agencies and officials and school districts, through all stages of dispute resolution. She also handles complex litigation and regulatory issues for private-sector clients. Kate has successfully argued before the Minnesota Court of Appeals. She has also briefed appellate cases before the Eighth Circuit and the Minnesota Supreme Court, and argued in federal district court, state district court, and the administrative context. Before joining Greene Espel, Kate honed her problem-solving skills as legal counsel to the Minnesota Special Redistricting Panel. She received her J.D. from the University of Minnesota, magna cum laude, where she also earned her bachelor’s degree and played varsity hockey. Kate is an active member of Minnesota Women Lawyers.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- State Bar of Minnesota
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Selected to Rising Stars list, Minnesota Super Lawyers (2015-2016)
- Recognized as Minnesota State Bar Association North Star Lawyer for pro bono service (2013, 2014)
- Robert A. Stein Endowment Scholarship, University of Minnesota Law School
- Koontz v. St. Johns River Water Management District: Trudging Through a Florida Wetland with Nine U.S. Supreme Court Justices, 36 ZONING & PLANNING L. REP., May 2013, at 1, available at 36 No. 5 ZPLR 1 (with John M. Baker).
- Sticks, Carrots, Donkey Votes, and True Choice: A Rationale for Abolishing Compulsory Voting in Australia, 16 MINN. J. INT’L L. 525 (2007).
TEACHING AND LECTURING
- Cutting Edge of Land Use Topics, The 2015 Minnesota Conference on Land Use and Eminent Domain, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, Panelist (February 2015).
- Holiday Decorations, Public Property, and the Law, American Planning Association Webinar, Panelist (November 2013).
- Search and Seizure: Recent Federal and State Cases Every Practitioner Should Know, Recent Trends Involving the Law of Arrest, Search and Seizure in Minnesota, Lorman Education Services, Panelist (November 2012).
- Minnesota Justice Foundation, Board Member (2014-present)
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Community Action Committee (2010-present)
- Student to Attorney Mentor Program (2010-present)
- Everybody Wins! Minnesota
- Power Lunch Reading Volunteer (2008-2012)
- Volunteer Lawyers Network
- Minnesota Justice Foundation Volunteer (2007-2008)
Government and Constitutional Litigation