Thursday, December 27, 2018 (Minneapolis, MN) Greene Espel PLLP is proud to announce that the firm has redoubled on its efforts to reduce substance use disorders and mental health distress in the legal community by committing to the American Bar Association’s (ABA) Well-Being Pledge & Campaign.
The pledge was developed after a study conducted by the ABA and the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation found that attorneys were more likely than their peers in other professions to experience substance abuse and mental health programs. The same study found that many in the profession feel uncomfortable seeking help due to fears of professional reputation harm. The Well-Being Campaign encourages law firms and other legal employers to improve their working environments and advance the health of their employees. In signing the pledge, Greene Espel is committed to prioritizing the ABA’s seven-point framework:
1. Provide enhanced and robust education to attorneys and staff on topics related to well-being, mental health, and substance use disorders.
2. Challenge the expectation that all events include alcohol; seek creative alternatives; and ensure there are always appealing non-alcoholic alternatives when alcohol is served.
3. Partner with outside providers who are committed to reducing substance use disorders and mental health distress in the profession.
4. Provide confidential access to addiction and mental health experts and resources, including free, in-house, self-assessment tools.
5. Develop proactive policies and protocols to support assessment and treatment of substance use and mental health problems, including a defined back-to-work policy following treatment.
6. Actively and consistently demonstrate that help-seeking and self-care are core cultural values, by regularly supporting programs to improve physical, mental and emotional well-being.
7. Highlight the adoption of this well-being framework to attract and retain the best lawyers and staff.
Greene Espel has been recognized for its workplace environment and commitment to its attorneys and legal staff, including being named one of the “100 Best Companies to Work For” In Minnesota. In addition to the firm’s collaborative approach, which nurtures open communication, Greene Espel also provides excellent benefits including a generous leave policy to address behavioral health issues, among others. By signing the ABA Well-Being Pledge, Greene Espel joins the ABA in raising awareness and building a stronger and caring legal community.