Larry Shapiro has been managing complex litigation since 1981 and has earned the reputation as one of the State's preeminent business litigators.
Larry serves as lead litigation counsel in Minnesota and throughout the United States for national corporations, accounting firms, banks, reinsurers, real estate developers, closely-held businesses, and individuals. He helps clients resolve disputes involving accounting and other professional services, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, shareholders, unfair competitive practices, employment relationships, insurance and reinsurance, real estate, and construction. With a broad global network of litigators, transactional attorneys, accountants, appraisers, and other professionals, Larry can also quickly mobilize the teams required to solve a wide array of problems.
Larry has earned numerous courtroom victories and professional honors. His greatest reward, however, is more personal. Larry is a valued confidant to the inner management circle for many clients. So Larry understands their issues quickly, effectively solves their immediate problems and, perhaps most important, regularly introduces proactive litigation-avoidance strategies.
- Larry has extensive experience in representing Big Four, regional and local accounting firms in audit, tax and consulting negligence lawsuits, class action securities litigation, review board proceedings, and various federal and state regulatory and criminal matters.Larry’s successes include defending claims that a Big Four accounting firm’s negligence caused the failure of a large financial institution and damages in excess of $500 million. In another matter, he obtained a complete defense jury verdict in favor of a Big Four accounting firm that had been sued for audit negligence, and obtained reimbursement for all of his client’s defense costs, including attorney fees. In another lawsuit, alleging that professional negligence and other torts led to the collapse of a Bermuda fund that invested in Tom Petters Ponzi scheme, Larry and Mark Johnson teamed with a New York law firm to obtain dismissal of all claims asserted against a Bermuda accounting firm.
- Larry has represented both closely-held corporations and minority shareholders in a large number of minority shareholder oppression lawsuits and special litigation committee proceedings. Larry’s representation has resulted in multi-billion and multi-million dollar settlements for our clients.
- Lead counsel in defense of more than fifty separate class-action lawsuits. Those actions involved a wide variety of claims, including securities law violations, employment discrimination, and improper consumer-lending practices. Larry has also successfully represented securities class-action plaintiffs.
- Larry has successfully represented Fortune 100 and 500 clients in mediations, arbitrations, and lawsuits that have involved a full range of merger and acquisition disputes, including claims for breach of contract, net working capital and other post-closing adjustments, fraud and Material Adverse Effect.
- Larry has also served as national counsel, coordinating the defense of large numbers of related lawsuits. In one such example, Larry and a team of Greene Espel attorneys coordinated the entire defense of one of the largest medical malpractice claims in U.S. history—over 44,000 separate lawsuits, with client exposure of more than $1 billion. By employing a strategy of aggressive discovery and motions, our team was able to achieve quick settlements for amounts far less than claim reserves, saving our client millions of dollars in budgeted defense costs.
- Representation of numerous clients in a variety of criminal and regulatory investigations, including many conducted by the Securities and Exchange Commission, the United States Department of Justice, the Commodities and Futures Exchange Commission, and State Attorneys General.
- Lead counsel in a wide variety of intellectual property disputes. In one recent case, Larry and Karl Procaccini used the federal Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act to obtain emergency injunctive relief, preventing cyber squatters from registering, using, and trafficking 66 domain names containing the name and trademarks of three-time Tour de France winner Greg LeMond. Larry has also brought numerous successful patent and trademark infringement lawsuits on behalf of an international playing-card manufacturer, a Panamanian resort developer, insurance companies, medical device manufacturers, and many others.
- Lead counsel in dozens of unfair competition lawsuits. Larry and his colleagues can mobilize quickly to obtain emergency restraining orders, prevent departing employees from violating non-competition agreements or otherwise improperly use client trade secrets and confidential information.
- Larry has represented owners, architects, and contractors in a wide variety of construction lawsuits and arbitrations. Several of those cases involved claims against contractors for construction delays and defects (ranging from structural elements to curtainwalls, siding, windows, plumbing systems, and the like). Numerous other cases involved claims against owners, helping contractors enforce their contract and mechanic’s lien rights.
- Larry is regularly involved in a wide variety of employment lawsuits and problems. Much of his practice involves counselling employers, helping them avoid lawsuits through training and proper handling of hiring, termination, and reduction in force situations. Larry has represented clients in a full range of employment administrative proceedings and litigation—wrongful termination, discrimination, sexual harassment, hostile work environment, and other employment issues. Larry is also regularly involved in negotiating severance agreements on behalf of employers and employees alike.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- State Bar of Minnesota
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Phillips Eye Institute Foundation, Minneapolis, Minnesota; Past Member of the Board of Trustees of the foundation for the second largest surgical eye care hospital in the United States.
- Temple Israel, Minneapolis, Minnesota; Past Vice President
- Sholom Community Alliance, Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota; Past President of non-profit corporation which owns and operates nursing homes, assisted living facilities and independent housing.
- Community Housing & Service Corporation, Minneapolis, Minnesota; Past President of senior housing non-profit corporation.
TEACHING AND LECTURING
- New Developments and Strategies for Efficient, Cost-Effective Dispute Resolution, Practicing Law Institute, New York, New York
- Accounting 101 For Attorneys, National Business Institute, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- Liability Issues For Accounting Firms, CPAsNET.com, 17th Mid-Year Meeting, Nashville, Tennessee
- Litigation Issues Affecting Auto Dealers, National Alliance of Auto Dealer Advisors, Summer Meeting, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Recognized as one of "the most powerful business leaders in Minnesota," by Minnesota 500 (2020)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (2010-2021)
- Lawyer of the Year (2021)
- Selected to Super Lawyers list, Minnesota Super Lawyers (2003-2004, 2006, 2008, 2011-2020)
- Recipient of Cardozo Society's 2018 Sidney Barrows Lifetime Commitment Award
- Accountant Liability
- Business Litigation
- Class Actions
- Compliance and Anti-Corruption
- Construction and Design
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Intellectual Property
- Pro Bono
- White Collar Criminal Defense
J.D., University of Michigan, cum laude
M.S., Michigan State University, with High Honor
B.A., Michigan State University, with High Honor
Shapiro Professional Association, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Managing Partner
Maslon Edelman Borman & Brand, LLP, Minneapolis, Minnesota