Sybil is a passionate and uncommonly persuasive advocate who helps clients resolve commercial and intellectual property disputes.
Sybil's litigation practice affords her substantial first-chair trial and arbitration experience. Sources share that “she is brilliant, responsive and seeks to understand business objectives.” (Chambers USA, 2022). And Minnesota Lawyer has twice recognized her as "Attorney of the Year." Bringing her skills to bear, Sybil successfully leads teams in litigations around the country.
Sybil’s experience includes representing Fortune 100 companies as they navigate disputes with contractors, clients, and business partners, including breach of contract, business torts, and post-closing disputes involving net working capital. She also helps clients evaluate, assess, and litigate intellectual property disputes from initial risk assessment through trial and appeal. As part of her IP practice, she represents clients before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, including the first patent owner to score a complete victory in a Covered Business Method (CBM) proceeding.
In addition to her active litigation practice, Sybil is a national thought leader on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (“DEI”). She co-founded Greene Espel’s DEI practice, which helps workplaces design and implement DEI strategies and programs to meet their goals. As part of this practice, Sybil offers award-winning DEI trainings which receive rave reviews from audiences around the country. Clients include Fortune 100 companies, cities, government institutions, bar associations, law firms, and non-profits. In recognition of her efforts, Minnesota Lawyer selected Sybil as one of its Diversity & Inclusion Honorees, and the Hennepin County Bar Association awarded her its Excellence Award for Advancing Diversity and Inclusion.
Sybil serves on the Infinity Project board, an organization dedicated to increasing the gender diversity of the state and federal bench, as well as the board of the Heilicher Minneapolis Jewish Day School.
- J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, Order of the Coif; Senior Notes Editor, Vanderbilt Law Review
- B.A., Smith College
- Law Clerk, U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, The Honorable James M. Rosenbaum
- EMILY’s List, Political Research Deputy
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- State Bar of Minnesota
- Federal Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
Sybil's Practice Areas
Elections and RedistrictingExplore Practice Area
Greene Espel takes on attacks to voting rights and democratic institutions—and wins. We take on lawsuits to tackle voter suppression, election subversion, and districting issues.
Commercial LitigationExplore Practice Area
Our business litigation practice embraces the wide variety of commercial disputes facing private and public companies today. Areas of particular expertise include intellectual property, antitrust, securities, employment, professional liability, and construction disputes.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion ConsultingExplore Practice Area
We are repeatedly called upon to help organizations craft customized, strategic solutions to address their Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) goals and objectives.
Copyright LitigationExplore Practice Area
Greene Espel is frequently called upon to protect copyright interests as well as defend against claims of copyright infringement.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion InvestigationsExplore Practice Area
We are repeatedly called upon to conduct timely and comprehensive high-stakes internal investigations through a DEI lens.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Training and SpeakingExplore Practice Area
We are nationally recognized speakers who provide energizing and inspiring trainings in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion space.
Patent LitigationExplore Practice Area
From lead medical-device companies to major high-tech manufacturers, clients turn to Greene Espel to represent them in significant disputes involving patents and other intellectual property rights.
Trademark LitigationExplore Practice Area
From premier brand-owners to niche device manufacturers, clients seek Greene Espel’s counsel in complex disputes involving trademarks.
Sybil's Recognition & Awards
- 2021 Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer
- Listed in POWER 30: Business Litigation by Minnesota Lawyer (2021)
- 2020 Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer
- Selected to Super Lawyers list, Minnesota Super Lawyers (2022-2023)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (2021-2024)
- Listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business-The Client's Guide (2020-2022)
- Hennepin County Bar Association Excellence Award for Advancing Diversity and Inclusion (2019)
- Selected to Rising Stars list, Minnesota Super Lawyers (2013-2019)
- 2018 Diversity & Inclusion Honoree, Minnesota Lawyer
- Recognized as Minnesota State Bar Association North Star Lawyer for pro bono service (2016)
- Recognized as Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer (2015)
- Vanderbilt University Law School
- 2L Mock Trial Champion and Top Litigator Award Recipient
- Best Brief Award 2006
- Scholastic Achievement Awards: Conflicts of Law, Professional Responsibility, and Legal Writing
- Smith College
- Andrew C. Slater Prize for Excellence in Debate
Sybil's Community Involvement
- Collaborative Community Law Initiative, Board Member (2017 - present)
- Infinity Project, Board Member (2012-2015)
- Smith College Alumni Association, Member