Nick Scheiner represents companies, institutions, and public entities in internal and government investigations, enforcement actions, and complex business litigation across a variety of industries.
Nick has developed a diverse litigation practice, representing clients in an array of industries, including health care, consumer technology, education, mobile software, and manufacturing. Whether in high-stakes multidistrict litigations or smaller scale private business disputes, clients appreciate Nick’s practical, levelheaded approach to all aspects of litigation. Nick understands that being an effective litigator is not about having the loudest voice, but the most credible.
Formerly a Special Agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Manhattan, Nick also has deep investigative experience and an ability to communicate effectively with government agencies. Nick has applied that experience in client-initiated internal investigations, civil enforcement actions by federal and state agencies, and criminal investigations for clients in a host of industries, including health care, telecommunications, consumer technology, and renewable energy. Nick’s breadth of experience allows him to work closely with clients to understand their businesses and to develop strategies for conducting investigations and engaging with government agencies that take into account their unique business risks and sensitivities.
Nick has also maintained an active pro bono practice, representing, among other clients, indigent tenants in disputes with abusive landlords and property managers, a prisoner alleging violations of his First Amendment rights by corrections officers, and a prisoner convicted by a non-unanimous Louisiana jury, in partnership with the Promise of Justice Initiative.
- Represented major private university in state-court litigation relating to alleged misconduct by student health center clinician.
- Defended multiple managed care health plans in connection with False Claims Act investigations by the Department of Justice Civil Fraud Section, U.S. Attorney’s Office, State Attorney General’s Office and HHS-OIG relating to alleged improprieties in plans’ implementations of plans’ alleged implementation of the Affordable Care Act.
- Defended major consumer technology manufacturer in government investigation relating to content of software updates and in parallel multi-district litigation, leading to favorable settlement.
- Represented major renewable energy producer in investigation U.S. Department of Justice.
- Represented mobile gaming company as plaintiff alleging fraud, false advertising, and unfair competition in connection with data hosting contract, as well as defendant in countersuit alleging breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, and fraud. Resolved favorably for client.
- Secured dismissal with prejudice of all claims against automotive parts manufacturer of automotive parts in qui tam action alleging violations of the False Claims Act.
- Represented global telecommunications company in a multi-jurisdictional review of technology performance reporting practices.
- Represented publicly traded healthcare provider in multi-state parallel criminal and civil False Claims Act investigations by U.S. Department of Justice.
- Conducted internal investigation for multinational technology company into allegations by former employee of financial mismanagement by corporate officers.
- Obtained favorable settlement in 42 U.S.C. § 1983 action on behalf of prisoner alleging violation of First Amendment rights by correctional officers.
- Obtained favorable pre-litigation settlement for tenant alleging uninhabitability of rental property and harassment by landlord.
- Brought quiet title action on behalf of elderly client, resulting in rescission of fraudulently obtained grant deed from title to family home.
- Representing Afghan individual who assisted U.S. military as contractor in connection with application for Special Immigrant Visa.
- Represented longtime U.S. resident in removal proceedings.
- State Bar of Minnesota
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- 2021 Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer
- 2022 "Up & Coming Attorney," Minnesota Lawyer
- Selected to Minnesota Rising Stars list, Minnesota Super Lawyers (2022)
- Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2023)
- Antitrust and Competition
- Business Litigation
- Class Actions
- Compliance and Anti-Corruption
- Government and Constitutional Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Politics and Elections
- Pro Bono
- Products Liability
- White Collar Criminal Defense
J.D., Stanford Law School; Editor-in-Chief, Stanford Journal of Criminal Law and Policy
M.A., University of California, Los Angeles, East Asian Studies
B.A., University of Florida, Mathematics and East Asian Languages and Literatures
Gibson Dunn & Crutcher, LLP, Associate
U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of California, Law Clerk
Federal Bureau of Investigation, Special Agent