Clients regularly turn to Greene Espel when faced with high-stakes, class-action litigation. Greene Espel attorneys have defended dozens of putative class actions in federal and state courts all across the country.
Whether it’s consumer fraud, fair-credit reporting, or common-law claims, Greene Espel has the experience and tenacity to help clients win.
Greene Espel has substantial experience defending class actions. From winning threshold dispositive motions to defeating class certification to administrating settlements, Greene Espel knows what it takes to get the job done. Our experiences include:
- Securing the complete threshold dismissal of eight separate state class action complaints consolidated in multidistrict litigation in the District of Kansas. The plaintiffs in those cases sought billions of dollars in damages.
- Defending antitrust class action against major automobile manufacturers alleging collusion to prevent the re-importation of vehicles from Canada.
- Defending an insurance company in a putative nationwide class action alleging violations of consumer-fraud and other consumer-protection statutes based on an alleged conspiracy to undercompensate policyholders whose vehicles had been declared total losses.
- Representing companies in multiple shareholder class action lawsuits challenging significant corporate mergers and acquisitions.
- Defending a Fortune 500 company in putative nationwide class action involving dental products and alleging breach-of-warranty and consumer-fraud claims.
- Successfully defending national tile retailer in securities class action to reach a favorable settlement.
- Successfully compelling arbitration in putative consumer-protection class actions on behalf of financial institutions and retailers.
- Obtaining decertification and settlement of lawsuit filed by a putative class of landlords suing a Minnesota city over utility billings.
- Won motion to dismiss fraud-based claims asserted by a putative class of noteholders against Deloitte.
- Served as lead trial counsel for class action involving 4,500 households in neighborhoods surrounding refinery with allegations of personal injury and property damage.
- Successfully defended and defeated class certification in dozens of separate class actions brought against numerous automobile dealerships for alleged violations of federal and state truth-in-lending, installment sales, and plain language laws.
- Defending antitrust class actions in a consolidated MDL in the District of Minnesota alleging price fixing in the beef and cattle industry.
- Defending an antitrust class action in the Northern District of Illinois involving the turkey industry.
- Defending national retailer in putative class action asserting consumer and tort claims related to third-party gift card fraud.
Greene Espel also has substantial experience prosecuting class actions. Greene Espel attorneys also helped prosecute claims for bellwether litigation involving defective ignition switches in the Southern District of New York.
Emily M. McAdam
Amran A. Farah
Faris A. Rashid
Lawrence M. Shapiro, P.A.
Monte A. Mills
Jeanette M. Bazis
Davida S. Williams
Holley C. M. Horrell
Mark L. Johnson
X. Kevin Zhao
Aaron P. Knoll
Our business litigation practice embraces the wide variety of commercial disputes facing private and public companies today. Areas of particular expertise include intellectual property, antitrust, securities, employment, professional liability, and construction disputes.
Antitrust and Competition
Greene Espel can help you navigate antitrust and competition investigations, government enforcement actions, white collar criminal investigations and litigation, trial and appellate litigation, and compliance counseling.
Insurance and Reinsurance
Our attorneys routinely handle a myriad of insurance and reinsurance analyses and disputes, including fraud investigation, coverage and measurement evaluation, and insurance arbitrations and litigation.
Institutional investors and public companies alike have turned to Greene Espel in high-stakes securities litigation: fraud cases, multi-million-dollar battles over the terms of securities, class actions, shareholder disputes, RMBS, and more.
Local Government Defense
Local government defense is a cornerstone of Greene Espel’s practice.
Greene Espel has extensive experience in a wide variety of disputes and problems confronting accounting firms, including the representation of Big Four, regional, and local accounting firms in audit, tax, and consulting negligence lawsuits, class action securities litigation, review board proceedings, and various federal and state regulatory and criminal matters.
Chambers USA 2023 Recognizes Greene Espel for Litigation in Minnesota; Jeanette Bazis, Sybil Dunlop, and Kate Swenson Named Notable Practitioners
This year’s recognition highlights the firm’s “widely respected litigation group able to provide expertise across a range of commercial disputes, including both class actions and single-plaintiff claims.”
Our class actions experience is wide-ranging, but our approach is always the same—we work with our clients to understand and achieve their objectives.