Clients regularly turn to Greene Espel when faced with high-stakes, class-action litigation. Greene Espel attorneys have defended dozens of putative class actions in federal and state courts all across the country.
Greene Espel attorneys also have substantial experience prosecuting class actions as well. Whether it’s consumer fraud, fair-credit reporting, or common-law claims—and whether it’s for the prosecution or defense—Greene Espel has the experience and tenacity to help clients win.
Greene Espel has substantial experience defending class actions. From winning threshold dispositive motions to defeating class certification to administrating settlements, Greene Espel knows what it takes to get the job done. Our experiences include:
- Securing the complete threshold dismissal of eight separate state class-action complaints consolidated in multidistrict litigation in the District of Kansas as well as a CAFA-removed 700-plaintiff mass action in the Southern District of Illinois. Plaintiffs in those cases had sought billions of dollars in damages.
- Defending antitrust class action against major automobile manufacturers alleging collusion to prevent the re-importation of vehicles from Canada.
- Defending an insurance company in a putative nationwide class action alleging violations of consumer-fraud and other consumer-protection statutes, as well as common-law claims involving an alleged conspiracy to undercompensate policyholders whose vehicles had been declared total losses.
- Representing companies in multiple shareholder class action lawsuits challenging significant corporate mergers and acquisitions.
- Defending a Fortune 500 company in putative nationwide class action involving dental products and alleging breach-of-warranty and consumer-fraud claims.
- Defending national tile retailer in securities class action to settlement.
- Successfully compelling arbitration in putative consumer-protection class actions on behalf of financial institutions and retailers.
- Obtaining decertification and settlement of lawsuit filed by a putative class of landlords suing a Minnesota city over utility billings.
Greene Espel also has substantial experience prosecuting class actions. For instance, in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Greene Espel prosecuted a class action relating to failure to purchase adequate reinsurance for a statutory risk pool. Greene Espel attorneys also helped prosecute claims for bellwether litigation involving defective ignition switches in the Southern District of New York.
- Jeanette M. Bazis
- Sybil L. Dunlop
- Robert J. Gilbertson
- Kathryn N. Hibbard
- Mark L. Johnson
- Aaron P. Knoll
- Bethany D. Krueger
- Monte A. Mills
- Lawrence M. Shapiro, P.A.
- John W. Ursu
- Davida S. Williams
- X. Kevin Zhao