X. Kevin Zhao represents business clients in disputes including multidistrict, antitrust, and consumer class actions; contract, tort, and fiduciary-duty claims; and product-liability litigation.
Kevin brings a strategic eye to complex litigation and arbitration. His talent for identifying and articulating the most critical issues without losing important nuances makes him an effective advocate for clients at all stages of litigation—from initial case assessment to post-trial appeals. Kevin is currently coordinating legal strategy in federal and state courts across the country. He has authored winning briefs and argued successful dispositive and non-dispositive motions for clients in significant lawsuits and arbitrations.
Kevin also has substantial experience in international litigation and cross-border disputes. Leveraging his fluency in Mandarin, Kevin (赵晓川) has prepared, defended, and taken numerous depositions of Chinese-speaking witnesses in China and Hong Kong. And Kevin has worked with (and against) experts in Chinese law and regulatory compliance.
In addition to litigation, Kevin conducts internal investigations on behalf of clients. Time and time again, clients turn to Kevin to understand and then help solve their most challenging problems.
Having emigrated to the United States as a small child, Kevin identifies personally with the immigrant experience. He maintains an active pro bono practice, working closely with The Advocates for Human Rights to help asylum seekers escape persecution and reunite with their families.
In his free time, Kevin enjoys cooking, biking, and spending time with his wife and three young children.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- State Bar of Minnesota
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Diversity Committee
- Minnesota Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Twin Cities Diversity in Practice, Young Lawyers Group
- Appointed to the Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel (2018)
- American Constitution Society
- The Advocates for Human Rights, Volunteer Attorney
- Author, The Eighth Circuit Applies the ‘Effects Test’ for Personal Jurisdiction in a Pair of Recent Decisions, Law.com (April 22, 2020)
- Co-Author of “The Criminalization of Immigration and the International Norm of Non-Discrimination: Deportation and Detention in U.S. Immigration Law,” Journal of Law and Inequality, Volume 29, No. 2. (Summer 2011)
TEACHING AND LECTURING
- Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers (2019-2021)
- Recognized as Minnesota State Bar Association North Star Lawyer for pro bono service (2014-2019)
- Recognized as Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer (2018)
- Appointed to the Merit Selection Panel by Chief Judge John R. Tunheim to advise the U.S. District Court of the District of Minnesota on the selection of a new U.S. Magistrate Judge (February, 2018)
- Graduate Fellow for Constitutional Law and Corporations, Harvard Law School
- Antitrust and Competition
- Business Litigation
- Class Actions
- Compliance and Anti-Corruption
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Pro Bono
- Products Liability
J.D., Harvard Law School, magna cum laude
B.A., University of Minnesota, Political Science and Global Studies, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, The Honorable Patrick J. Schiltz, Law Clerk
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, The Honorable James B. Loken, Law Clerk
Faegre & Benson LLP, Associate