X. Kevin Zhao represents clients in complex disputes, including multidistrict, antitrust, and consumer class actions; contract, tort, and fiduciary-duty claims; and product-liability litigation.
Kevin brings a strategic eye to complex litigation and arbitration. His talent for identifying and articulating the most critical issues without losing important nuances makes him an effective advocate for clients at all stages of litigation—from initial case assessment to post-trial appeals. Kevin is currently coordinating legal strategy in federal and state courts across the country. He has authored winning briefs and argued successful dispositive and non-dispositive motions for clients in significant lawsuits and arbitrations.
Kevin also has substantial experience in international litigation and cross-border disputes. Leveraging his fluency in Mandarin, Kevin (赵晓川) has prepared, defended, and taken numerous depositions of Chinese-speaking witnesses in China and Hong Kong. And Kevin has worked with (and against) experts in Chinese law and regulatory compliance.
In addition to litigation, Kevin conducts internal investigations on behalf of clients. Time and time again, clients turn to Kevin to understand and then help solve their most challenging problems.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, magna cum laude
- B.A., University of Minnesota, Political Science and Global Studies, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, The Honorable Patrick J. Schiltz, Law Clerk
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, The Honorable James B. Loken, Law Clerk
- Faegre & Benson LLP, Associate
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- State Bar of Minnesota
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Twin Cities Diversity in Practice
- Mandarin (fluent-speaking)
Kevin's Practice Areas
Antitrust and CompetitionExplore Practice Area
Greene Espel can help you navigate antitrust and competition investigations, government enforcement actions, white collar criminal investigations and litigation, trial and appellate litigation, and compliance counseling.
Class ActionsExplore Practice Area
Clients regularly turn to Greene Espel when faced with high-stakes, class-action litigation. Greene Espel attorneys have defended dozens of putative class actions in federal and state courts all across the country.
Commercial LitigationExplore Practice Area
Our business litigation practice embraces the wide variety of commercial disputes facing private and public companies today. Areas of particular expertise include intellectual property, antitrust, securities, employment, professional liability, and construction disputes.
Insurance and ReinsuranceExplore Practice Area
Our attorneys routinely handle a myriad of insurance and reinsurance analyses and disputes, including fraud investigation, coverage and measurement evaluation, and insurance arbitrations and litigation.
Internal InvestigationsExplore Practice Area
We leverage our experience to conduct sensitive and high-profile internal investigations for our clients. We also help clients navigate investigations to mitigate reputational, regulatory, and litigation risks.
Products LiabilityExplore Practice Area
Defending products liability claims has been a cornerstone of Greene Espel’s practice since our founding in 1993. Manufacturers and other businesses turn to us when they face product defect allegations brought by individuals, by large groups of plaintiffs, or as putative class actions.
Kevin's Recognition & Awards
2023 Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer
Appointed to the Commission on Judicial Selection, At Large Member (2023)
- 2021 Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer
- Selected to Minnesota Super Lawyers list (2023)
- Selected to Minnesota Rising Stars list, Minnesota Super Lawyers (2019-2022)
- Recognized as Minnesota State Bar Association North Star Lawyer for pro bono service (2014-2019, 2021)
- Recognized as Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer (2018)
- Appointed to the Merit Selection Panel by Chief Judge John R. Tunheim to advise the U.S. District Court of the District of Minnesota on the selection of a new U.S. Magistrate Judge (February, 2018)
- Graduate Fellow for Constitutional Law and Corporations, Harvard Law School
Kevin's Community Involvement
- Appointed to Judicial Selection Committee for Federal District Court Vacancy (2024)
- Appointed to the Commission on Judicial Selection (2023)
- Appointed to the Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel (2018)
- American Constitution Society
- The Advocates for Human Rights, Board of Directors, Volunteer Attorney
Having emigrated to the United States as a small child, Kevin identifies personally with the immigrant experience. He maintains an active pro bono practice, working closely with The Advocates for Human Rights to help asylum seekers escape persecution and reunite with their families.