Amran is an experienced litigator who has a tenacious knack for identifying creative solutions to complex problems.
Amran is a commercial litigator, representing and advising clients in an array of areas, including complex commercial litigation, construction litigation, social media, employment law, and internal investigations. She has broad experience successfully representing clients in state and federal court, as well as arbitration proceedings.
In addition to her litigation practice, Amran co-founded Greene Espel’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Practice which conducts workplace investigations and assists employers in addressing issues of discrimination and workplace misconduct. In that arena, she helps clients develop diversity, equity, and inclusion policies to foster equity, inclusion and belonging, and develops and provides DEIB trainings. Audiences commend her energizing and insightful presentations.
Amran’s talents are widely recognized. She was awarded Minnesota Lawyer’s Attorney of the Year Award and recognized by Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal as a 40 under 40 Honoree. Minnesota Senators Amy Klobuchar and Tina Smith selected Amran to serve on the Judicial Selection Committee for the open seat on the federal court bench, and appointed her to the selection committee to select Minnesota’s U.S. Attorney and U.S. Marshall. Amran is routinely asked to assist in hiring executive officers.
Amran is the past-President of the Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers, a founder and past-President of the Somali American Bar Association, and the past-Chair of the Council of Minnesotans of African Heritage.
- J.D., Hamline University School of Law, magna cum laude; Hamline Law Review; Giles Rich Intellectual Property Moot Court
- B.A., University of Saint Thomas, Political Science and English
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Judge Franklin L. Noel, Law Clerk
- Hennepin County District Court, Judge Pamela G. Alexander
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Judge Michael J. Davis, Extern
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- State of Minnesota
- Federal Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- Somali American Bar Association
- Somali (fluent)
Amran's Practice Areas
Commercial LitigationExplore Practice Area
Our business litigation practice embraces the wide variety of commercial disputes facing private and public companies today. Areas of particular expertise include intellectual property, antitrust, securities, employment, professional liability, and construction disputes.
Class ActionsExplore Practice Area
Clients regularly turn to Greene Espel when faced with high-stakes, class-action litigation. Greene Espel attorneys have defended dozens of putative class actions in federal and state courts all across the country.
Construction and DesignExplore Practice Area
Our team has significant experience navigating construction and design disputes. We have handled a wide variety of construction disputes in trials, arbitrations, and mediations, and frequently provide advice about construction contracts, preservation of claims and evidence ahead of repairs, and use of construction documents.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion ConsultingExplore Practice Area
We are repeatedly called upon to help organizations craft customized, strategic solutions to address their Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) goals and objectives.
Employment LitigationExplore Practice Area
Businesses, public institutions, and individuals seek out Greene Espel for representation in a wide range of employment-litigation matters.
Energy and EnvironmentalExplore Practice Area
Handling environmental and energy disputes is a fundamental part of our practice. We defend lawsuits, give compliance counseling, and offer guidance in the face of legal and regulatory quagmires.
Local Government DefenseExplore Practice Area
Local government defense is a cornerstone of Greene Espel’s practice.
Insurance and ReinsuranceExplore Practice Area
Our attorneys routinely handle a myriad of insurance and reinsurance analyses and disputes, including fraud investigation, coverage and measurement evaluation, and insurance arbitrations and litigation.
Copyright LitigationExplore Practice Area
Greene Espel is frequently called upon to protect copyright interests as well as defend against claims of copyright infringement.
Internal InvestigationsExplore Practice Area
We leverage our experience to conduct sensitive and high-profile internal investigations for our clients. We also help clients navigate investigations to mitigate reputational, regulatory, and litigation risks.
Products LiabilityExplore Practice Area
Defending products liability claims has been a cornerstone of Greene Espel’s practice since our founding in 1993. Manufacturers and other businesses turn to us when they face product defect allegations brought by individuals, by large groups of plaintiffs, or as putative class actions.
White Collar Criminal and Regulatory DefenseExplore Practice Area
We provide an insider’s perspective and the experience to vindicate your interests and defend your name in complex criminal and regulatory matters.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion InvestigationsExplore Practice Area
We are repeatedly called upon to conduct timely and comprehensive high-stakes internal investigations through a DEI lens.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Training and SpeakingExplore Practice Area
We are nationally recognized speakers who provide energizing and inspiring trainings in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion space.
Patent LitigationExplore Practice Area
From lead medical-device companies to major high-tech manufacturers, clients turn to Greene Espel to represent them in significant disputes involving patents and other intellectual property rights.
Amran's Recognition & Awards
- 2021 Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer
- 40 Under 40 Honoree, Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal (2021)
- Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2021-2023)
- Selected to Minnesota Rising Stars list, Minnesota Super Lawyers (2021-2022)
- Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer (2020)
- Recognized as Minnesota State Bar Association North Star Lawyer for pro bono service (2019)
- 2018 Diversity & Inclusion Honoree, Minnesota Lawyer
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Award
- Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers – Michael J. Davis Scholarship Award
- Nelson Mandela Scholarship Award
- Minnesota Federal Bar – Judge Jacob Dim Memorial Award
- Minnesota Black Women Lawyer’s Network Scholarship Award
Amran's Community Involvement
- Federal Law Enforcement Selection Committee
- B.R.A.V.E. Inc. – Board Member
- Governor Dayton's Council of Minnesotan's of African Heritage, Governor Appointed Member
- Minneapolis Police Police Conduct and Oversight Commission