Amran is an experienced litigator who has a tenacious knack for identifying creative solutions to complex problems.
Amran represents and advises clients in an array of areas, including complex commercial litigation, construction litigation, employment law, and internal investigations. She routinely litigates in state and federal court, as well as arbitration proceedings. Her construction practice includes the representation of property owners, general contractors, subcontractors, and community associations in claims for construction defect and property damage.
In addition to her litigation practice, Amran co-founded Greene Espel’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Practice which conducts workplace investigations and assists employers in addressing issues of discrimination and workplace misconduct. In that arena, she helps clients develop diversity, equity, and inclusion policies to foster racial and gender equity and develops and provides diversity trainings. Audiences commend her energizing and insightful presentations.
Amran’s talents are widely recognized. She was awarded Minnesota Lawyer’s Diversity and Inclusion Award and recognized by Best Lawyers as “One to Watch.” Most recently, Minnesota Lawyer recognized her as an “Up and Coming Attorney.” In 2019, Senators Amy Klobuchar and Tina Smith selected Amran to serve on the Judicial Selection Committee for the open seat on the federal court bench, and she is routinely asked to assist in hiring executive officers.
Amran serves as Past-President of the Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers as well as on the board of B.R.A.V.E., a non-profit organization focused on building leadership skills for young Somali women. She is also a founder and past-President of the Somali American Bar Association and the past-Chair of the Council of Minnesotans of African Heritage.
Before joining Greene Espel, Amran worked at an insurance defense firm providing legal services to clients in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota. After law school, she clerked for the Honorable Franklin L. Noel in the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, and the Honorable Pamela G. Alexander in Hennepin County District Court.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- State of Minnesota
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Federal Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- Somali American Bar Association
- B.R.A.V.E. Inc. – Board Member
- Governor Dayton's Council of Minnesotan's of African Heritage, Governor Appointed Member
- Minneapolis Police Police Conduct and Oversight Commission
TEACHING & LECTURING
- How to Litigate a Civil Case in Minnesota – Drafting a Successful Response to the Complaint, Minnesota CLE (December 2019)
- Adjunct Professor, William Mitchell College of Law, Civil Dispute Resolution (2016-Present)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch (2021)
- Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer (2020)
- Recognized as Minnesota State Bar Association North Star Lawyer for pro bono service (2019)
- 2018 Diversity & Inclusion Honoree, Minnesota Lawyer
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Award
- Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers – Michael J. Davis Scholarship Award
- Nelson Mandela Scholarship Award
- Minnesota Federal Bar – Judge Jacob Dim Memorial Award
- Minnesota Black Women Lawyer’s Network Scholarship Award
- Business Litigation
- Class Actions
- Compliance and Anti-Corruption
- Construction and Design
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Government and Constitutional Litigation
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Intellectual Property
- Mediation and Arbitration
- Pro Bono
- Products Liability
- White Collar Criminal Defense
J.D., Hamline University School of Law, magna cum laude; Hamline Law Review; Giles Rich Intellectual Property Moot Court
B.A., University of Saint Thomas, Political Science and English
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Judge Franklin L. Noel, Law Clerk
Hennepin County District Court, Judge Pamela G. Alexander
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Judge Michael J. Davis, Extern