Surya Saxena is a former federal prosecutor and former in-house counsel who leads case teams in government enforcement actions, internal investigations, white collar criminal cases, and complex civil litigation.
Surya has tried over a dozen cases before federal and state juries and argued multiple times before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. He has led investigations and government enforcement matters as a prosecutor, an in-house attorney, and in private practice. He distills the complexity of complex problems into clear recommendations for clients.
Surya leads investigations and litigation in a wide array of matters, including government enforcement actions, fraud and embezzlement, anticorruption, regulatory compliance, healthcare, and money laundering. He also investigates and leads criminal defense teams in white collar criminal matters, regulatory inquiries, and Attorney General enforcement matters. Surya’s litigation and investigations experience includes civil and criminal matters involving the False Claims Act, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, the Bank Secrecy Act, and more. Surya has previously been recently recognized for his trial advocacy by Minnesota Lawyer, which named Surya and his former colleagues 2018 “Attorneys of the Year.”
Surya leverages his experience as an Assistant U.S. Attorney and as an in-house counsel to predict a clients’ needs, assess risks, drive litigation and settlement strategies, and provide actionable counsel to both organizational and individual clients.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, cum laude
- B.A., University of Minnesota – Twin Cities, Political Science, with distinction
- UnitedHealthcare, Senior Associate General Counsel, affirmative litigation and investigations
- United States Attorney's Office – District of Minnesota, Assistant United States Attorney
- Dorsey & Whitney, Associate
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- State Bar of Minnesota
- Federal Bar Association, Minnesota Chapter
- Board of Directors (2019-present)
- Affinity Bar Association Liaison (2021-present)
- Charitable Grant Committee, Co-Chair (2018-2021)
- White Collar Crime Committee, Co-Chair (2017-2018)
- Board of Directors (2019-present)
Surya's Practice Areas
Commercial LitigationExplore Practice Area
Our business litigation practice embraces the wide variety of commercial disputes facing private and public companies today. Areas of particular expertise include intellectual property, antitrust, securities, employment, professional liability, and construction disputes.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion ConsultingExplore Practice Area
We are repeatedly called upon to help organizations craft customized, strategic solutions to address their Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) goals and objectives.
Local Government DefenseExplore Practice Area
Local government defense is a cornerstone of Greene Espel’s practice.
Internal InvestigationsExplore Practice Area
We leverage our experience to conduct sensitive and high-profile internal investigations for our clients. We also help clients navigate investigations to mitigate reputational, regulatory, and litigation risks.
Elections and RedistrictingExplore Practice Area
Greene Espel takes on attacks to voting rights and democratic institutions—and wins. We take on lawsuits to tackle voter suppression, election subversion, and districting issues.
White Collar Criminal and Regulatory DefenseExplore Practice Area
We provide an insider’s perspective and the experience to vindicate your interests and defend your name in complex criminal and regulatory matters.
False Claims Act and Health Care LitigationExplore Practice Area
We have the experience to help clients—particularly those in the healthcare industry—navigate the ever-expanding breadth of False Claims Act and health care litigation. We have achieved success for our clients at every phase—conducting thorough investigations, persuading government agencies not to intervene in whistleblower suits, obtaining dismissals through motion practice, negotiating favorable settlements, and taking cases through litigation.
Anti-corruption and FCPAExplore Practice Area
Greene Espel rivals big firms with its experienced group of corruption and FCPA investigators and counselors. We help companies efficiently and effectively investigate allegations of corruption, assess their compliance programs, and present their best possible case to prosecutors and regulators.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion InvestigationsExplore Practice Area
We are repeatedly called upon to conduct timely and comprehensive high-stakes internal investigations through a DEI lens.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Training and SpeakingExplore Practice Area
We are nationally recognized speakers who provide energizing and inspiring trainings in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion space.
Cases & Wins
As A Federal Prosecutor:
- Investigated, tried, and briefed and argued the appeal in United States v. James Carlson, et al. [i.e., the Last Place on Earth], 12-cr-305 (DSD/LIB) (D. Minn.), one of the first-in-the-country prosecutions of synthetic cannabinoid and cathinone distribution. The case involved complex expert testimony in the areas of chemistry and pharmacology, and included FDCA and Money Laundering charges. An audio recording of the appellate argument is available at http://media-oa.ca8.uscourts.gov/OAaudio/2015/10/142986.MP3 (beginning at 31:08).
- United States v. Dooling, 17-cr-87 (PAM/SER): Lead trial counsel at seven-day trial of owner of renewable energy company who defrauded farmers out of approximately $13 million.
- United States v. Ruzicka, et al. [i.e., the Starkey Laboratories Fraud Trial], 16-cr-246 (JRT/SER): Co-counsel at two-month long trial of former executives who embezzled approximately $20 million from Starkey Hearing Technologies, Inc.
- United States v. Seng Xiong, 16-cr-167 (SRN/HB): Co-counsel at three-week long trial of defendant who defrauded Hmong community members out of approximately $1.7 million by promising them he had secured a new Hmong homeland in Southeast Asia.
- Investigated use of the “dark web” to facilitate money laundering, drug trafficking, and other illegal activities.
- Investigated international money laundering, money transmitting businesses, and money services businesses.
- Conducted investigation involving alleged False Claims Act and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations.
As An In-House Counsel:
- Conducted privileged ethics and compliance investigations based on alleged wrongful termination, regulatory and statutory violations, and government contract violations.
- Investigated healthcare fraud allegations including Anti-Kickback Statute violations, False Claims Act violations, Covid-19 diagnostic-related fraud, cost-share waivers, billing fraud, provider licensing, etc.
- Managed response to government, administrative, and regulatory investigations, including civil investigative demands, False Claims Act investigations, Attorney General inquiries, and agency requests.
- Represented the company in connection with government and law-enforcement interviews of employees.
- Managed litigation involving $100-plus million dispute between health insurer and pharmaceutical company involving alleged fraud resulting from False Claims Act settlement of Anti-Kickback Statute violations.
- Managed litigation involving alleged Covid-19-related laboratory billing fraud.
- Developed affirmative recovery strategies for health insurer involving alleged breach of contract, fraud, Civil RICO, unfair competition, and state statutory violations.
As A Private Practitioner:
- Represented individual criminal defendants accused of bank fraud, embezzlement, and healthcare fraud.
- Conducted internal investigations for organizational defendants involving alleged healthcare fraud, wrongful termination, compliance and ethics policy violations, and securities fraud.
- Civil litigation experience involving wage and hour issues, minority shareholder oppression, intellectual property licensing, breach of contract, and more.
Surya's Recognition & Awards
- 2019 Diversity & Inclusion Honoree, Minnesota Lawyer
- Named a 2018 "Attorney of the Year," Minnesota Lawyer
Surya's Community Involvement
- Appointed to the Minnesota Sentencing Guidelines Commission (2023)
- Minnesota Urban Debate League, Board of Advisors
- Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid, Board of Directors