Holley Horrell applies strong writing skills, keen analytic insights, and a deep understanding of the courts to achieve results. She focuses her practice on trademark and copyright litigation as well as complex business litigation.
In matters ranging from pre-litigation counseling and negotiations, to proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, to high-stakes litigation, Holley brings a thoughtful, practical approach to understanding the facts and law and a drive to achieve the best possible outcome.
Holley regularly represents clients in copyright and trademark infringement lawsuits in federal court. She brings that litigation experience to bear when assisting clients outside the courtroom to understand their intellectual property rights and potential issues. She recently won a preliminary injunction under the Lanham Act against a company for distributing counterfeit goods.
Beyond intellectual property matters, Holley also represents clients in business litigation, including complex coordinated litigation such as antitrust matters. In one example, Holley represented a major manufacturer in defeating breach-of-contract claims at summary judgment and winning an award on the client’s counterclaim. In another case, she convinced the court to impose significant limitations on the scope of a key expert witness’s testimony.
She maintains an active pro bono practice, primarily representing children in foster-care-related legal proceedings. She also argued a pro bono criminal appeal before the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Defending client against Lanham Act claims in federal court relating to nationwide franchise's mark.
- Pursuing a client's intellectual property rights in its famous marks, fighting widespread sales of counterfeit branded personal protective equipment by pursuing federal litigation across the country. Won a preliminary injunction under the Lanham Act to stop the defendant’s distribution of counterfeit goods.
- Defended a major manufacturer of security equipment in federal court against a former customer’s implied-breach-of-contract claims for $22 million, obtaining summary judgment in the client’s favor on both the plaintiff’s claims and our client’s counterclaim.
- Represented client in defending its marks in Trademark Trial and Appeal Board opposition proceedings initiated by a major financial services company, and negotiated a successful resolution.
- Represented employee of private college in satisfactorily negotiating resolution of gender and pregnancy discrimination employment claims.
- Advise famous individual regarding relevant intellectual property rights and represent the individual in asserting such rights in pre-litigation communications.
- Served as local counsel for a major technology company in trademark litigation, participating in drafting a motion to dismiss that the court granted on personal jurisdiction grounds.
- Successfully negotiated full payment of amounts due under client's trademark licensing agreement.
- Aggressively pursued litigation against vendor for breaches of contract, obtaining satisfactory settlement.
- On appeal before the Minnesota Court of Appeals, obtained a complete reversal in favor of our client in a case involving complex statutory interpretation.
- Defended a company in a multi-million-dollar class action in the energy sector.
- Counseled a Fortune 100 studio with regard to potential copyright and trademark claims.
- In a pro bono representation, successfully petitioned the Army Discharge Review Board to upgrade the discharge status of a veteran to Honorable.
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District Court of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Minnesota
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Community Outreach Committee Member (2020-present)
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Legal Athletes Affinity Group Co-Chair (2020-present)
- The Honorable Jimmie V. Reyna Intellectual Property American Inn of Court
- Children's Law Center of Minnesota, Board Member (present)
- Girls on the Run Twin Cities
- Board Member (present)
- Co-Chair of Associate Board (2019-2020)
- Special Events Committee Member (2016-2019)
- Fourth Generation (a program of the Minneapolis Foundation), Volunteer Grantmaker (2017-2018)
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association, Chair of Copyright and Trademark committee (2014-2015); Co-Chair of Washington in the West committee (2013-2014)
- ‘Willful’ Thinking: Supreme Court Set To Clarify When Trademark Owners May Recover Profit Awards, Article, Law.com (October 28, 2019)
- Case Update and Potential Implications for Patent Owners: Wi-Fi One, LLC v. Broadcom Corp. (Fed. Cir. 2017), Article (January 8, 2018)
TEACHING AND LECTURING
- Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2021-2022)
- Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers (2020-2021)
- Recognized as Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer (2019)
- Recognized as Minnesota State Bar Association North Star Lawyer for pro bono service (2018-2019)
- Appointed to a Merit Selection Panel by Chief Judge John R. Tunheim to advise the U.S. District Court of the District of Minnesota on the reappointment of U.S. Magistrate Judge Tony N. Leung (July 2018)
- Featured in a “Pro Bono Spotlight” by the Inner City Law Center of Los Angeles, CA, for her pro bono representation of veterans (Sept. 2015)
- Hilmer Oehlmann, Jr. Award for Outstanding Performance in Federal Litigation (Spring 2010)
- French (fluent)
- Mandarin (familiar)
- Antitrust and Competition
- Business Litigation
- Class Actions
- Compliance and Anti-Corruption
- Government and Constitutional Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Pro Bono
J.D., Stanford Law School; Editor-in-Chief and Symposium Chair, Stanford Technology Law Review
B.A., Duke University, English with minors in Art History and Mandarin, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa; Writer and Senior Editor, The Chronicle
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Judge Joan N. Ericksen, Law Clerk
Irell & Manella, Associate